THE 7TH CASABLANCA SUMMIT OF OIC, DECEMBER 12, 1994 Resolution No.11/7-P(IS) on the conflict between Armenia and Azerbaijan
The Seventh Islamic Summit Conference (Session of Fraternity and Revival), held in Casablanca, Kingdom of Morocco, from 11 to 13 Rajab, 1415H (13-15 December, 1994),
Proceeding from the principles and objectives of the Charter of the Organization of the Islamic Conference;
Gravely concerned over the serious escalation of aggression by the Republic of Armenia against the Republic of Azerbaijan which has resulted in the occupation of more than 20% of the territory of Azerbaijan;
Deeply distressed over the plight of more than one million Azerbaijani displaced persons and refugees resulting from Armenian aggression and magnitude and severity of humanitarian problems;
Recalling the principled position taken on this issue by the Fifth and Seventh Extraordinary Sessions of the Islamic Conference of Foreign Ministers, held in Istanbul in June 1992, and Islamabad in September, 1994 respectively;
Also recalling the relevant paragraphs of the Final Communique adopted by the OIC Coordination Meeting of the Foreign Ministers at the United Nations, New York, on 23 September, 1992 and 3 October, 1994;
Noting the efforts made by the neighboring countries and regional states, notably the Islamic Republic of Iran and the Republic of Turkey to promote a peaceful settlement of the conflict between Armenia and Azerbaijan;
Conscious of the threat posed to international peace and security by the
Armenian aggression; Urging strict adherence to the Charter of the UN and full implementation
of Security Council resolutions;
Noting the destructive influence of the policy of aggression of the Republic of Armenia on the peace process in the CSCE framework;
1. Strongly condemns the aggression of the Republic of Armenia against the Republic of Azerbaijan;
2. Considers the actions perpetrated against civilian Azerbaijani population in occupied Azeri territory as crimes against humanity;
3. Strongly demands the strict implementation of the United Nations Security Council resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884, immediate unconditional and complete withdrawal of Armenian forces from all occupied Azeri territories inter alia Lachin and Shusha regions and strongly urges Armenia to respect the sovereignty and territorial integrity of the Republic of Azerbaijan.
4. Calls on the Security Council to recognize the existence of aggression against the Republic of Azerbaijan; take the necessary steps under Chapter VII of the Charter of the United Nations to ensure compliance with its resolutions; condemn and reverse aggression against the sovereignty and territorial integrity of the Republic of Azerbaijan and decides to take coordinated actions to this end at the United Nations.
5. Reaffirms that, acquisition of land by use of force cannot be recognized.
6. Calls for a just and peaceful settlement of the conflict between Armenia and Azerbaijan on the basis of respect for the principles of territorial integrity of states and inviolability of internationally recognized frontiers.
7. Urges both Armenia and Azerbaijan and all states member of the Minsk Group to engage constructively in the ongoing CSCE peace process and refrain from any action that will make it more difficult to reach a peaceful solution.
8. Reaffirms its total solidarity and support for the efforts being made by the Government and people of Azerbaijan to defend their country.
9. Calls for enabling the displaced persons and refugees to return to their homes in safety, honor and dignity.
10. Expresses its concern over the severity of the humanitarian problems concerning the existence of more than one million displaced persons and refugees in the territory of the Azerbaijan Republic and requests the member states, the Islamic Development Bank and the other Islamic Institutions to render urgent financial and humanitarian assistance to the Azerbaijani Republic.
11. Requests the Secretary General to follow up the implementation of this Resolution and to submit a Report to the Twenty-third Islamic Conference of Foreign Ministers.
Resolution no. 16/7-E(IS) on Economic Assistance to the Republic of Azerbaijan
The Seventh Islamic Summit Conference (Session of Fraternity and Revival), held in Casablanca, Kingdom of Morocco, from 11 to 13 Rajab 1415H (13-15 December 1994),
Recalling OIC Resolutions adopted by the Islamic Conferences of Foreign
Ministers regarding the situation in Azerbaijan resulting from the aggression by neighboring Armenia;
Confirming full solidarity of the Member Countries of the OIC with the Government and people of Azerbaijan at this grave and very critical time of the country’s history;
Referring to the relevant UN Security Council Resolutions regarding this conflict;
Deploring the Armenian hostilities in the Negorno-Karabakh district of Azerbaijan followed by the occupation of about 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which forced almost one million Azerbaijani people to flee their homes in the face of the brutal attacks and gross violations of human rights by this aggression;
Recognizing the need to demonstrate in more concrete terms the solidarity of the OIC Member Countries with the Government and people of Azerbaijan,
Welcoming and appreciating the assistance extended by some Member Countries and OIC relevant bodies, United Nations institutions and international organizations.
1. Urges the international community to make serious and tangible efforts and take immediate action to end the occupation of the Azerbaijani territories by the Armenian forces and ensure their unconditional withdrawal thus restoring the territorial integrity of Azerbaijan.
2. Appeals to the Member States and Islamic institutions to make available to the Government of Azerbaijan the much needed economic assistance with a view to alleviating the suffering of the Azeri people.
3. Requests the international organizations to maintain urgent humanitarian, financial assistance to Azerbaijan.