Zarifa Musayeva, a social worker in the US is the interlocutr of 1905.az site.
– Your life has linked to the US for years. During these years, did the awareness of people on the other side of the ocean increase about the aggression to which Azerbaijan was subjected, the occupation of 20 % of our lands and genocides they faced since the beginnings of the last century.
– I have been living in the US for nearly 7 years and according to my obervations, I can say that the level of those people’s awareness about Azerbaijan and the agression it faced has increased a bit. Taking into consideration the fact that Armenian lobby’s propaganda machine has been able to formulate a public opinion by spreading false and distroted information, it is not hard to imagine the weight of the burden on the shoulders of Azerbaijani community. As an example, I can show AJR 32 in California which we wanted to stop the admission of it. In order to recognize the independence of Naqorno Karabakh this document was suggested by a legislature Mike Gatto under the pressure of Armenian lobby.If we take the fact into account that two Armenians, namely Kacho Achadjan and Adrin Nazaryan work in the legislative body of California and they have a strong reputation among others, then there is no need to explain how difficult our work is. Because we knew this document would be discussed on May 8, as a group of Azerbaijanis we met the legislators in Sacramento on 22nd of April. The purpose was to display our unity as a community and prevent its acceptance. We met approximately 25 legislators, familiarized them with our community and clarified some points regarding the issue to be taken to the agenda. I have to confess that most of them heard about Azerbaijan and the existence of our community for the first time. As a community, it was a serious message that we were late to introduce ourselves and our nasty neighbors took the maximum advantage of it. Prior to the discussion, hundreds of Azerbaijanis living in California called and sent emails to the representatives of Committee on Rules, as well as signed online petitions regarding the rejection of AJR 32.
Both legislators and Armenians were amazed at the arrival of more than 50 Azerbaijanis to the AJR 32 discussion on May 8. Although, the document was discussed (approved) that day legislatures and Armenians perceived that we did not remain silent and they would have to reckon with us one day.
– What we are supposed to do in order to attract a typical American’s interest to our region? Generally, is it possible and what can we gain?
– Generally, as a nation Americans are very sincere to other nations and keen to learn about them. At the same time, their geographic knowledge is very limited. Therefore, it is a little bit hard to explain the location of Azerbaijan. However, if you present the culture and cuisine of a country this question immediately becomes clear. For instance, we organized the night of Azerbaijani culture, there were participants more than we expected and they familiarized with our history and culture, and also tasted our delicious meals. The importance of such events is that we not only make our country known but also it enables us to introduce our historical realities and gain a support for us. In order to inform American citizens about our country, Azerbaijan as a state may donate distinguished books, subtitled movies and other digital information to the US libraries. I have lived in several states and never come across such release except for a book, with a picture of a turbaned man on its cover.
–Is it true that Armenian “realities” are so convincing in the US?
– Yes, it is partially true. Let us take the abovementioned AJR 32 document. One of the document supporters, a legislator Sheryl Brawn repeatedly said that she visited unrecognized Naqorno Karabakh Republic at the invitation of Mr. Adrin Nazaryan and witnessed how painfully they gained their “independence” and now she considers it as a duty for her to support the document. Or in the same hearings, a young woman named Alina Nalbadyan taking floor as a witness from Karabakh said as if she moved to America because her “childhood and homeland” was occupied by Azerbaijanis thus claimed a “justice”. By repeating these words she left nothing to those politicians to doubt about it. The Armenian lobby delivers their false claims in this manner and creates obstacles to spread the realities.
What would you recommend to 1905.az site?
– Sometimes online petitions concerning Karabakh and other important issues are needed to be signed and it is impossible to carry out it with the power of our countrymen living abroad. If you enlighten and propagate such kind of necessary steps through you website it would have great benefit for our country.
– Thank you very much and I wish you good luck.