The Eighth Session of the Islamic Summit Conference (Session of Dignity, Dialogue, Participation), held in Tehran, Islamic Republic of Iran, from 9 to 11 Sha’aban, 1418H (9-11 December, 1997),
Proceeding from the principles and objectives of the Charter of the Organization of the Islamic Conference;
Gravely concerned over the aggression by the Republic of Armenia against the Republic of Azerbaijan which has resulted in the occupation of more than 20% of Azeri territory;
Deeply distressed over the plight of more than one million Azerbaijani displaced persons and refugees resulting from the Armenian aggression and magnitude and severity of humanitarian problems;
Reaffirming all previous relevant resolutions and, in particular, the resolution on this matter, adopted by the Seventh Islamic Summit Conference, held in Casablanca, Kingdom of Morocco, from 11 to 13 Rajab, 1415H (13-15 December 1994);
Conscious of the threat posed to international peace and security by the Armenian aggression;
Urging strict adherence to the Charter of the UN and full implementation of Security Council resolutions;
Welcoming all diplomatic and other efforts for the settlement of the conflict;
Reaffirming all Member States respect for the sovereignty, territorial integrity and political independence of the Republic of Azerbaijan;
Reaffirming also that acquisition of land by use of force cannot be recognized.
Noting also the destructive influence of the policy of aggression of the
Republic of Armenia on the peace process in the OSCE framework;
1. Strongly condemns the aggression of the Republic of Armenia against the Republic of Azerbaijan.
2. Considers the actions perpetrated against the civilian Azeri population in the occupied Azeri territory as crimes against humanity.
3. Strongly condemns looting and destruction of the archeological cultural and religious monuments on the occupied territories of Azerbaijan. 4. Strongly demands the strict implementation of the United Nations Security Council resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884, immediate unconditional and complete withdrawal of Armenian forces from all occupied Azeri territories inter aria Lachin and Shusha regions and strongly urges Armenia to respect the sovereignty and territorial integrity of the Republic of Azerbaijan.
5. Expresses its concern that Armenia has not yet implemented demands contained in the UN Security Council resolutions.
6. Calls on the Security Council to recognize the existence of aggression against the Republic of Azerbaijan; take the necessary steps under Chapter VII of the Charter of the United Nations to ensure compliance with its resolutions; condemn and reverse aggression against the sovereignty and territorial integrity of the Republic of Azerbaijan and decides to take coordinated action to this end at the United Nations.
7. Urges all States to refrain from providing any supplies of military arms and equipment to Armenia, which can encourage the aggressor to escalate the conflict and to continue the occupation of the Azerbaijani territories. The territory of Member States should not be used for transit of such supplies.
8. Calls upon Member States, as well as other members of the international community, to use such effective political and economic measures as required in order to put an end to Armenian aggression and to occupation of the Azerbaijani territories.
9. Calls for a just and peaceful settlement of the conflict between Armenia and Azerbaijan on the basis of respect for the principles of territorial integrity of states and inviolability of internationally recognized frontiers.
10. Urges both Armenia and Azerbaijan and all states member of the Minsk Group to engage constructively in the ongoing OSCE peace process and refrain from any action that will make it more difficult to reach a peaceful solution.
11. Reaffirms its total solidarity and support for the efforts being made by the Government and people of Azerbaijan to defend their country.
12. Calls for enabling the displaced persons and refugees to return to their homes in safety, honour and dignity.
13. Expresses its appreciation to all Member States which have made humanitarian assistance to the refugees and displaced persons and urges all the others to extend their contributions to these people.
14. Expresses its concern over the severity of humanitarian problems concerning the existence of more than one million displaced persons and refugees in the territory of the Republic of Azerbaijan and requests Member States, the Islamic Development Bank and the other Islamic Institutions to render urgent financial and humanitarian assistance to the Republic of Azerbaijan.
15. Considers, that Azerbaijan has the right for appropriate compensation with regard to damages it suffered, and puts the responsibility for the adequate compensation of these damages on Armenia.
16. Appreciates the efforts of the Secretary General to convey to the OSCE Chairman-in-Office the position of Member States on this matter.
17. Requests the Secretary General to follow up the implementation of this Resolution and submit a report to the Ninth Session of the Islamic Summit Conference.
Resolution no. 18/8-E(IS) on Economic Assistance to the Republic of Azerbaijan
The Eighth Session of the Islamic Summit Conference (Session of Dignity, Dialogue, Participation), held in Tehran, Islamic Republic of Iran from 9-11 Sha’aban 1418H (9-11 December 1997),
Recalling Resolution No. 18/24-E adopted by the Twenty-fourth Session of the Islamic Conference of Foreign Ministers;
Confirming full solidarity of the Member States of the OIC with the Government and people of Azerbaijan at this grave and very critical time of the country’s history;
Referring to the relevant UN Security Council Resolutions regarding this conflict;
Deploring the Armenian hostilities in the Upper-Karabakh district of Azerbaijan followed by the occupation of about 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which forced almost one million Azeri people to flee their homes in the face of the brutal attacks and gross violations of human rights by this aggression;
Recognizing the need to demonstrate in more concrete terms the solidarity of the OIC Member Countries with the Government and people of Azerbaijan;
Welcoming and appreciating the assistance extended by some Member Countries and OIC relevant bodies, United Nations institutions and international organizations;
Having taken note also of the recommendations of the Twentieth Session of the Islamic Commission for Economic, Cultural and Social Affairs;
1. Appeals to the Member States and Islamic institutions to make available to the Government of Azerbaijan the much needed economic and humanitarian assistance with a view to alleviating the suffering of the Azeri people.
2. Calls upon the international organizations to provide urgent humanitarian, financial assistance to Azerbaijan.
3. Requests the Secretary General to follow up the question and submit a report thereon to the next Session of the Islamic Summit.